The PADI AWARE-Dive Against Debris course with Scuba Dream - Make a difference!
Diving Against Debris not only has obvious positive effects for marine life and our ocean but it is also now helping drive political changes for a cleaner future.
Project AWARE's flagship citizen - science program Dive Against Debris empowers scuba divers to remove marine debris from our ocean's, lakes and rivers and report data on the types, quantities and locations of materials collected.
Why take this speciality?
- Make the most of your skills - you have a unique set of skills and it makes sense to put them to good use.
- Our ocean's need you - more than 250 million tonnes of plastic are estimated to make its way into our oceans by 2025. It is time for us to fight back against this.
- You will learn new things - as a diver you should always be looking to learn more and enhance your skills. This speciality not only benefits the environment, it will help you perfect buoyancy, you will learn safety skills as well as how to sort, record and dispose of all marine debris - make your dives count!
- It can be used towards other certifications - Dive Against Debris includes 1 open dive which counts as an adventure dive towards your advanced open water certification. This speciality also counts as 1 of your specialities required to earn PADI Master Scuba Diver.
- Be part of a global movement - in March 2018 Project AWARE celebrated 1 million LESS pieces of debris in our oceans - all thanks to divers like YOU.
- Its FUN - diving is about enjoyment, this speciality allows you to make new like minded friends and learn about protecting our oceans and marine life.
To take this course, you must be:
- A PADI Open Water Diver (or qualifying certification from another training organisation)
- 12 years or older
The Scuba Gear You Will Use
You will use all basic scuba gear, including a compass depending upon location, with the addition of Dive Against Debis mesh bags and potentially lift bags. You will also have use of a survey guide, data card and marine debris identification guide.
Your Next Adventure
After you have completed your Dive Against Debris speciality you might want to think about completing your Advanced Open Water, if you have already completed this then the Project AWARE Specialist may be something that you are interested in to learn more about the oceans environment and sustainability.
Speak to a member of the SCUBA DREAM team to find out more.